1. Tata Motors
Their main products can be divided into Commercial Vehicles, Military Vehicles, and Electric Vehicles. Their popular products are Trucks, Cars, Buses, Vans, Sports Cars, and Construction Equipments.
Their first generation car - Tata Indica, is counted as one of the best selling cars in the history of Indian automobile industry. In 2009, they launched world's most affordable car - Tata Nano, which is small car, made especially for Indian motorcyclists, to replace their motorbikes with this car. The car was launched at the price of just Rs. 1 Lakh only. Some of their popular models are Tata Indigo, Tata Sumo, Tata Ace, Tata 407 Truck, Tata 1518C Truck, Tata Prima, Tata Ultra, Tata CityRide, Tata 3118 & 3516 Heavy Trucks, Tata Bolt, Tata Nano, Tata Indica, Tata Tigor, Tata Zest, Tata Xenon, Tata Aria, Tata Safari, Tata Hexa, and recently launched Tata Tiago.
In India, Tata Motors manufacturing facilities are located at Jamshedpur in Jharkhand, at Pune in Maharashtra, at Lucknow in Uttar Pradesh, at Pantnagar in Uttrakhand, at Sanand in Gujarat and at Dharwad in Karnataka. These factories have world class infrastructure and have all quality certifications in place. They have Research & Development centers in Lucknow, Pune, Dharwad, and Jamshedpur. Outside the country, their R&D centers are located in UK, Spain, Italy, and South Korea.
Type - Public | Founded - 1945 | Employees -60,000 (approx) | Head office - Mumbai | Establishment - 1945 | Website - www.tatamotors.com
2. Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd
Mahindra & Mahindra is India's top UV maker. Mahindra Scorpio has ruled the Indian roads from its launch. After its success, they have launched many others SUVs and all of these SUVs are among best selling SUVs in the country. They offer wide range of Commercial vehicles. Some of them are Mahindra Imperio, Alfa and Alfa Passenger, Bolero Pik-Up, Camper, Maxi Truck & Maxi Plus Truck, Mahindra Jeeto, Jeeto Mini Van, Supro Passenger & Supro Maxitruck, and Supro Mini Truck. In addition, they manufacture heavy commercial vehicles, light commercial vehicles, passenger buses, and school buses.
In the year 2010, Mahindra entered Electric Automobile market by capturing electric car making company ?Reva. They have invested significantly in the company and made improvement in the cars. In the year 2013, Mahindra Reva Company was named as "The World抯 50 Most Innovative Companies in 2013? Mahindra entered Two-wheeler industry, by acquiring pune based Kinetic Motors Limited. Mahindra has offered wide range of two wheelers and scooters. Mahindra's Scooter - Gusto has made its place in the market in just short span of its launch.
Type - Public | Founded - 1945 | Employees - 34,612 | Head office - Mumbai | Establishment 1945 | Website - www.mahindra.com
3. Maruti Suzuki
Maruti Suzuki has become one of the most popular company in automobile segment in recent years. Company setup its first manufacturing plant in 1982 in Gurgaon and entered in the Indian auto mobile market with the launch of Maruti 800 and this car broke all the records. Presently company has two manufacturing units that are located in Gurgaon and Manesar. Both the production units are equipped with world class machines and follow standard production/safety protocols.
Type - Public | Founded - 1981 | Employees - 6,903 | Head office - New Delhi | Establishment - 1981 | Website - www.marutisuzuki.com
Hero Motocorp Ltd previously known as Hero Honda is a popular automobile company that has captured around 30 percent market share of two wheeler industry. The journey of the company started in 1984 after a joint venture started between Hero Cycle and Honda (a Japan based automobile company). Together they have seen amazing success with launch of all time popular bikes like Hero Honda Splender and Passion. In the year 2010 both the companies separated and ended the joint venture. Hero Motocorp Ltd is listed in stock market and over 6000 employees are working in different segments of company
Type - Public | Founded - 1982 | Employees - 5,842 | Head office - New Delhi | Establishment - 1984 | Website - www.heromotocorp.com
5. Bajaj Auto Limited
Founded in the year 1930, Bajaj is a leading brand of two-wheelers and three-wheelers vehicles in India. Their flagship product 芒鈧汢ajaj Chetak Scooter had ruled Indian Market for over a decade. They are the leaders in India three-wheelers (Auto - Rickshaw). They ventured into bike segment in the year 2001 with launch of its bike Pulsar. They are constantly upgrading their bikes with latest technology and engines, making them stand apart in the competition. They have three manufacturing plants, two in Maharashtra and one in Uttaranchal which are equipped with latest machineries and skilled workforce.
Type - Public| Headquarters - Pune | Employees - 8,036 | Established - 1930 | Website - bajajauto.com
6. Ashok Leyland
Established just after a year of Independence, in the year 1948, Ashok Leyland is India's second largest manufacturer of commercial vehicles and world's fourth largest bus manufacturer. Their main products are Buses, Trucks, Light Vehicles for Logistics and Military Vehicles. Their buses carry 70 million people every day in country. They have 8 manufacturing facilities - 5 in India, 1 in UAK and 1 in England
Type - Public | Headquarters - Chennai | Employees - 15,812 | Head office - Chennai, Tamil Nadu | Establishment - 1948 | Website - www.ashokleyland.com
Founded- 1947 | Head office - Seoul, South Korea | Establishment - 1967 | Website - www.hyundai.com
8. TVS Motor Company TVS Motors is another well known automobile company of India that mainly manufactures two wheelers. In the two wheeler segment company is giving tough competition to Honda and Hero motors, with the launch of TVS Wego and TVS Jupiter, company has captured attention and interest of consumers. TVS Motors is a part of 40000 crore TVS group and has head office in Chennai. In the auto expo 2020 company has launched TVS NTORQ 125 which has become the main attraction of the event. In the last month December 2017, sales of the company increased by 39 % in comparison to December 2016. Company could able to achieve such a significant growth because they worked on customer satisfaction and retention. Also company has achieved significant growth in export segment, 47818 units has been exported to different countries from India. In the third quarter company has achieved a growth of 14% from the same period of last year.
Type - Public | Founded - 1978 | Website - www.tvsmotor.in
9. Ninth in the list is Eicher Motors:Established in the year 1948, Eicher Motors has manufactured India抯 first agricultural tractor and revolutionized farming in the country. Their tractors are considered as most trusted brand by farmers. Apart from Tractors, they are known for their Motor Bike ?揜oyal Enfield? This bike is loved by Indian consumers and considered as tough and strong bike, and works efficiently even at bad roads and mountain areas. Their other products are Trucks and Light Commercial vehicles, and Small Passenger Buses (School Buses).
Type - Public | Founded - 1948 | Employees - 2500 | Head office - Gurgaon, India | Establishment - 1948 | Website - www.eicher.in
10. Last in the list is Force Motors ltd:Established in the year 1958, Force Motors is pioneer in small commercial, passenger vehicles, and multi-utility vehicles. They are known for their Vans, small commercial vehicles, small passenger vehicles (school busses), ambulance vehicles, multi utility vehicles, tempo, metador buses, mini buses, and Tractors. They are India抯 largest 揤an?manufacturer and only one to offer verities in Van segment. These vans can be used for both commercial and personal purposes
Type - Public | Founded - 1958 | Employees - 8000 | Head office - Pune | Establishment - 1958 | Website - www.forcemotors.com |
11. Chevrolet India is a well-known automobile company of India which has strong dealership network in PAN India and has more than 200 service centers that provide world class services according to the need of customer’s. Over the years company has been growing at excellent pace and h as manufactures some of the prominent models like Chevrolet Spark, Chevrolet Tavera, Chevrolet Cruze. Company manufactures all range of cars that includes luxury cars, small cars, sedans, hatchbacks, SUVs, fuel-efficient cars. Company was started in 2003 and has head office in Bombay. Also Chevrolet has huge production unit in Sewree which is equipped with modern technology and follow quality guideline in product manufacturing. The Halol and Talegaon Dabhade manufacturing units of company has production capacity of over 3,00,000 cars.
12. Ford India is a famous automobile company has head office in Chennai and was started operations in 1995 and has been investing huge money to capture growing Indian automobile market. Some of the most sold models of Ford are Ford Figo, Ford Classic, Ford Fiesta, Ford Endeavour. Company has more than 10,000 employees associated and all have deep domain knowledge of their respective field. Company has huge manufacturing unit in Chennai that has production capacity of 2,00,000 cars. Company is regularly investing money to expend operations in India and has invested $72 million to improve the quality of engine.
13. Toyota Kirloskar Motors is the prominent player of automobile industry and is the joint venture of Toyota Motor Corporation and Kirloskar Group . Company is manufacturing products under the brand name of Toyota and has been selling over 2,00,000 cars every year. Fortuner and Etios are the most successful models of the company and also company has launched some models in Luxury range that includes Toyota Land Cruiser, Toyota Land Cruiser Prado, and Toyota Prius etc.
14. Atul Auto Limited is a leading three wheeler manufacturing company of India that was started in 1970's and has changed the way people transport in villages in cities. Company has excellent infrastructure facilities to manufactures the high quality automobiles. One of the manufacturing unit of company is situated in Rajkat and has the production capacity of 48,000 vehicles. Company has PAN India presence and has dealers in almost all the cities of India. Atul auto is listed in Bombay stock market and has been preforming amazingly. Company has regional office in cities like Ludhiana, Pune, Patna , Hyderabad, Delhi, Jaipur etc.
15. V.S.T Tillers is counted among the top notch tractors manufacturing company of India and has dealers in PAN India. Company was started in 1967 and has born because of Joint venture of VST Motors and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd, Japan. The manufacturing unit of company is located in Hosur in Tamil Nadu. Overall in India Company has 200 dealers and 300 vendors and also exports products in the market of Africa, Russia, Myanmar. Company has head office in Bangalore and listed in Bombay stock exchange.
16. Hindustan Motors Limited is a well-known ambassador manufacturing company that has production unit in West Bengal. The manufacturing unit is equipped with world class facilities and manufacturing 1500 and 2000 cc diesel, 1800 cc petrol, CNG and LPG ambassador. Other manufacturing unit of company is located in Pithampur and produces 1800 cc CNG ambassador.
17. Lohia Machinery Limited popularly known as LML has been manufacturing scooter and motorcycle, has the production unit in Kanpur. Company is listed in Bombay and National stock market, has started in 1972. Company has been reporting operational losses from several years.
18. HMT popularly known as Hindustan Machine Tools Limited was started in 1953 and has more than 2806 employees working in different locations in PAN India. Company has over 50 years of industry experience and has been run & managed by Government of India.
19. Ashok Leyland is a 50 years old automobile company that is listed in Bombay and National stock market. Company was started in 1948 and has more than 11552 employees working in different production units and offices of the company. It has six operational units that has production capacity of 60,000 vehicles and 7,000 engines. The head office of the company is located in Chennai and has annual revenue of over Rs 100 bilion.
Rasandik Engineering - Rasandik was established in the year 1986, with its first manufacturing plant at Gurgaon. Today they have seven plants spread all over country with two manufacturing plants at Gurgaon, one each at Greater Noida, Pune, Mewat, Mysore and Thally. They are the Tier 1 manufacturer and supplier of tailored Welding Blanks, Engineering Solutions, BIW Welding Jigs & Fixtures, Press Tools and Dies, Fuel Tanks, Exhaust Systems, Sheet Metal Body Stampings, Motorcycle Frames, Sub-Assemblies, Suspension Parts and Skin Panels. Almost all leading Cars and Motorcycle brands in India are their customers. To name few - Maruti Suzuki, Tata, Mahindra, Renault, TVS, Honda, Force Motors, Ashok Leyland and Force Motors. They supply press tools and dies to Maruti Suzuki, TVS, Honda, Gm and HM. They have various international standard accreditations such as ISO 14001:2004 and ISO/TS 16949:2009. This company's infrastructure is very modern and all of their facilities are equipped with latest machineries & technology and they follow international standards in maintaining quality of their products. Website: http://www.rasandik.com/
Schrader Duncan - Part of JP Goenka Group of Companies, Schrader Duncan, is a leading Automotive, Off-Highway Tyre (OTR) and Fluid Power & Automation Company. Established in the year 1884, by renowned German inventor Mr. August Schrader, Schrader entered in India in the year 1961. In the year 2012, JP Goenka Group of Companies bought their major stake. They have history of 150 years of expertise and innovation. They meet Their main products are Tyre Tube Valves, Valve Accessories, Valves Extensions, Garage & In-Plant Service, Tubeless Tyre Valves, Tractor Valves, Car Valves, Motorcycle Valves, all kind of valve extensions, Rubber base convertible valves and Tubeless Non-Swivel Valves. Their Headquarter is located at Pune, Maharshtra and ultra modern manufacturing facility at Ranjanagaon, Maharashtra. Their factory is ISO 9001 / TS 16949 certified and known for following quality standards in each and every manufacturing procedure. They have workforce of right mix of experienced and fresh talent to carry out manufacturing process at their facility. Their products are synonymous for quality and durability since decades. Some of the leading name in Indian Automobile market is their clients directly or indirectly.
Gujarat Automotive Gears Limited - GAGL was incorporated in the year 1973 at Baroda. Over the years, they have maintained quality and earned reputation by manufacturing international quality automotive products. Today, they are leading player in Domestic market and also export their products to Germany, Italy, UK, Egypt, Sri Lanka, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Dubai, Australia and USA. Their main products are Transmission Gears, Pins, Axle Shaft, Wheel Spanners, Fork Lift Parts, Off road Parts, and Shaft Components. Each of their products have array of variety for usage of different vehicles. Their manufacturing plant at Baroda has evolved over the years and always come up with newer and better range of products. Their factory has high performance modern imported machineries and full fledge experienced and well qualified workforce to carry out the task. With their quality products, GAGL is respected as leading and trusted manufacturer of tractor and auto components in country. Some of their clients are Tata, Eicher, Mahindra and Ashok Layland.
ANG Industries - ANG is among respected names in automotive industry with business ranging from Automotive, Tippers and Trailers, Heavy Fabrication and Off-Highway products. They are the manufacturer of auto components of heavy commercial vehicles and trailers. They had a modest beginning with single manufacturing facility. Today, they have five state of the art manufacturing faculties spread in 900000 sq. ft. area across various parts of country. Their head office is located at Okhla, Delhi and is trusted by hundreds of automobile clients in and outside India. All of their faculties have quality certifications such as ISO 9001:2000, ISO 14001:2004 and TS16949 certifications. Their products are Manual Slack Adjusters, Automatic Slack Adjusters, Self Adjusting Slack Adjusters, S-Camshafts, Equalizers, Equalizer Bushings, Equalizer Bolts, Differential Pins, Bevel Gears, King Pin Kits, Sheet Metal Powder Coated Components. They have expertise in Machining, Welding, Heat Treatment, Surface Finish, and Logistics. Their clientele lists include Tata, Rexroth, L&T, Blount International, Adani, Linfox, Meritor, BHEL etc. They have clients not only in India but in UK, Sweedan, China, USA, Turkey, Germany and Brazil. They have won various awards and accolades for their work and products.
Hind Hardy - It is reckoned as a pioneer in providing universal joint kits, propeller shafts and others distributed all across the country to be used for industrial as well as automotive applications. With more than 30 years of proven expertise and experience, the company serves needs of customers belonging from automotive, industrial, agricultural and construction equipment manufacturers and industry. In fact, the company has more than a decade of experience and expertise serving overseas clients for industrial, agricultural and automotive applications. The company also takes care of OE aftermarket and star export house status from last 8 years. Along with this, the company has received several awards and recognitions including ACMA export award for year 2006-07, IT power user award and ACMA export award for year 2008-09. It has been providing a large array of products of durability and top notch and superior quality including propeller shafts, double cardan shafts, centered double cardan propeller shafts, lay shafts, universal joint kits, half end yokes, hinges, hubs and vibration dampers, and precision machined components. This Indian based company operates primarily through the component segments and propeller shafts. The secondary segments of the line are domestic and export. Moreover, the propeller shafts involving SAE series from 1100 to 1700, UJ kits and others are applicable to use across varied steel mills, vibrating screens, backhoe loader, printing machinery, tractors, telehandler, harvester, utility vehicles and harvesters. Also, it is been into half end yokes, lay shafts, precision machined components and others applicable and utilized for front wheel drive applications. For utility vehicles, the company has been offering hinges, vibration dampers and hubs.
Clutch Auto - Being pioneering ISO/TS: 16949 certified firm, it is a well known automobile company serving its impeccable services to corporations and industries all across the world. Incepted and established in year 1971, it is known as the country's biggest clutch manufacturer as well as exporter. With 3 decades of undisputed leadership and expertise, it has a large base of clientele from all around. Adding to this, it is renowned as the country's biggest and well known exporter of clutches, exported to more than 40 countries among which about 85% belong to America. Having largest and widespread aftermarket distribution network across the country, Government of India recognized and acclaimed its research and development centre. Housed with state of art and advanced testing facility for clutches, it is been an esteemed recipient of national awards and recognition. The mission of the company is to fulfil clutch requirements and needs of each and every automotive application indigenously and seamlessly with the consistent experienced workmanship and technology upgradation. In addition, the vision of the company is to be a global leader and service provider by the year 2010-11. The firm is been housed and well equipped by an investment in trained manpower and technology enhancement and updation.
Frontier Spring - It is renowned and acknowledged as the world's top notch manufacturer of qualitative and durable hot wound springs to be utilized for industrial, transportation and government applications. Backed with state of art and advanced and latest manufacturing facility, it has been spread in a large area of about 50,000 square feet area. Adding to this, the company is been known to proffer a streamlined and advanced operation that lets them to render and serve superior quality and long lasting and extremely useful springs utilized all across the globe. Irrespective of the fact, whether there has been an order for a single spring or million pieces, the company is all set and ready to meet all your needs and prerequisites. Since its establishment in year 1980, the company has been meeting and satisfying its large base of clientele and the hot wound spring requirements related to heavy equipment industrial marketplace and transportation industry. Its sheer dedication and commitment to innovation and top quality is been rendered into each product it manufactures. Believing high in serving 100% client satisfaction services, it is a reputed ISO certified firm. Also, its custom designing and creative technologies capabilities and aptitude lets the company to keep in pace with the stringent quality standards essential in meeting today's ever changing and modifying world market situations. For transportation and rail road applications, the company maintains a huge inventory of quality hot wound springs.
Motherson Sumi Systems is a well-known automobile company it has been listed in Bombay and national stock market. With over 80000 employees company focuses on quality products using innovative technology. It is a leading manufacturer of barriers for passenger cars, wiring system, injection moulding tools, extruded rubber products etc.
The business of the companies spread across 37 countries across the globe, has more than 230 manufacturing units equipped with modern machines. Company has 24 design centers that has virtuous designers and has been working hard to create new designs of the product. To explain the business company has acquired MS Global India Private Limited in the year 2020
Sona Koyo Steering Systems Ltd well known automobile company of India that works in Steering manufacturing segment of automobile industry. Company is listed in stock exchange in the year 2000 and its stock price is increased by 1000% in last 10 years. Means if you have invested rupees 10000 in Sona Koyo Steering Systems Ltd in 2009, today that 10,000 has become 1 Lakh. According to the financial reports available on the website, company has made a revenue of 15832 (Rs Mn) in the year 2016-17.
List of Automobile Companies in India by Market Capitalization
|Company Name||Market Cap (Rs. cr)|
|Amara Raja Batt||17176.91|
|ZF Steering Gea||1334.91|
|Sona Koyo Stee||1219.28|
|Steel Str Wheel||515.61|
|Munjal Auto Ind||391|
|Lumax Auto Tech||338.06|
|Auto Corp Goa||251.09|
|SAR Auto Prod||109.11|
|Guj Auto Gears||37.1|
|Lumax Auto Sys||28.69|
Gajra Bevel Gea
Top 10 Car Companies in India
|Company Name||Market Capitalization (Rs. cr)|
|Tata Motors (D)||7,906.44|
Latest Automobile Industry News
Electric cars will get cheaper up to rupees 2.5 LakhFrom 1st April electric vehicles rates will be reduced by rupees 20000 up to Rs 2.5 Lakh because government has issued rebate on the purchase of electric vehicles to the consumers. This move is taken by the government to reduce the pollution in India. Overall what you can save it
Rs 20,000-40,000 for two-wheelers fitted with battery of 2-4 kwh
Rs 50,000-100,000 for three-wheelers (5-10 kwh)
Rs 1.5-2.5 lakh for four-wheelers (15-25 kwh battery).
In order to reduce the problem of the pollution in India. Indian government has launched FAME II scheme. Below mentioned are the key headlines of the scheme
Scheme will be effective from April 1 2020 for the next 3 years
Total allocated fund for this scheme is rupees 10000 crore
Electronic vehicles will get the subsidy - 10 lakh two wheeler for the personal use, 500000 3 wheelers will get the subsidy
2700 charging stations for electric vehicles will be set up in the top cities of India
In 9 km of a square area there will be 1 electronic vehicle charging station
Last Updated on 3 March 2020